Monday, August 30, 2010

BEST HUMMUS EVER

When I went to the Middle East I seriously thought my vegetarian-ness would be challenged. Not so-- how could I forget the mother of all wonderful vegetarian dishes: awesome authentic hummus!

My Lebanese friend claims that this is the best hummus recipe out there. And who am I to argue? So without further ado, here's the recipe, courtesy of Ms. Rachel Gabriel:

BEST HUMMUS EVER
Ingredients:

2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 can of chick peas (keep juice)
2 heaping spoonfulls of tahini
Lemon Juice
Salt

Instructions:
Blend together the garlic chickpeas (keep the juice!) and two heaping spoonfulls of tahini. Half the retained amount of chickpea juice, and replace with lemon juice (I find it's easiest to keep the can and eyeball the measurement). Pour into blender. Add a spoonfull of salt. Blend.

Take out of blender, and pour a circle of olive oil in the center. Eat and be merry!


Allison claims that she has made this recipe without the garlic and heavy on the tahini and it's pretty amazing. I tend to add more lemon juice and less tahini. And if you're low on tahini, you can always use peanut butter! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment