Sunday, February 6, 2011

Rosie's Raw Kale Salad

My friend Rosie came down from New York this weekend. I was pleasantly delighted to find out that we share our strange dietary habits. After milling about in the farmers market, we picked up some kale and cauliflower.

Rosie made this salad for me today. She tells me that the salt, vinegar and spices breaks down the  cell structure of the kale, making it taste as if it were cooked. I have to say I was skeptical at first-- just the idea of raw veggies, particularly raw kale, makes my tummy a little anxious. However, after the first bite, I was sold.

I give you Rosie's Raw Kale Salad:

Musical Accompaniment: Mumford and Sons, "Little Lion Man"

Finely chop kale
Squeeze half a lemon on the kale
Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar over the kale.
add salt, pepper, cumin and any spices to taste.
Gently stir and massage the kale. 
Let sit for 10 minutes
Add cauliflower,  seaweed and any other veggies, and stir.

No comments:

Post a Comment