Friday, April 8, 2011

Vegan Chedder and Chive Scones

Before I start, I know I misspelled cheddar. I did that on purpose, grammar snobs.


Now that I'm working a somewhat typical 9-5 at the Department of Justice (until next week, that is, when the government shuts down...jerks) I've been craving something small, savory and filling to take with me to work and eat with my coffee. For a while I was baking my own potato chips, but that wasn't doing it. I missed... CHEESE.

This happens sometimes. But it's important to recognize that if you're a vegan and you're missing cheese, what you're probably missing is salt (and that usually means you're dehydrated, btw). But I was really missing cheese, and nothing was helping satisfy the craving. As the days went on, I realized it wasn't just any cheese, it was the cheddar and chive scones from the cafe where I worked during college. Lucky for me, I was in charge of baking for a while, so after flipping through a couple scraps of recipes scrawled on paper, my memory was jolted and I began the task of veganizing the recipe. This will make about 30 small round scones, though it depends on the size of the scooper you use.

Warning: this dough is a mess. seriously. If it gets everywhere, you're doing it right.

Vegan Chedder and Chive Scones
Musical accompaniment: Rusted Root "Faith"

You will need:
A bunch of chives, chopped finely (aim for 1/2 a cup) Dried is ok, but fresh is better.
Your favorite vegan cheddar, grated (I use Daiya because it melts amazingly and is already grated)
A tub of vegan sour cream (I use Toffutti Better than Sour Cream... because it is)... should be about 1 cup
1 cup unflavored soy milk
3 cups of flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix togethr flour, baking powder, salt, sugar. Throw in chives and cheese.
Toss mixture with your hands just so it's all evenly distributed
Mix in sour cream and soy milk. stir lightly with a fork (do not over mix)
create a ball with the dough (as best as possible. it should be ridiculously sticky and getting everywhere at this point).  Place dough ball on lightl floured surface.
Knead dough 8-10 times, just to ensure it's evenly sticky.
flatten dough out to be about an inch thick.
With an ice cream scooper, or whatever you've got handy, scoop out chunks of the dough and place on a non-greased cookie sheet, about 1/2 inches apart. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until the tops become just slightly golden brown.

These are delicious right out of the oven. Since I made 30, I had to eat them all before my roommate woke up put them away in the freezer. They freeze and reheat like magic.






 

3 comments:

  1. Those sound sooo good! Remember those buttery, garlic biscuits at Red Lobster? I used to love those things.. def gonna try out this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, I didn't realize what I was craving was salt. But between 55 hour weeks with days that start at 5:30 and end at 11:30, I'm definitely exhausted and dehydrated. I really miss cheese.

    I had Nordstrom's Bistro make me a roasted veggie pizza with NO cheese, and it rocked even still.

    Daiya is amazing when melted, but tastes like soap straight out of the package. I kind of like the mozzarella better than the cheddar version. Tofutti makes an excellent cream cheese as well-- I can't tell a difference between it and the real stuff.

    NOW, if someone would just figure out how to make vegan Greek yogurt, I'd be fine. Grr.

    Thanks for posting this.

    Do you have any good links to how to replace eggs in recipes? I'm not sure how that whole process works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hon!
    Hahah sorry I just saw your comment.

    There are a couple of ways to replace eggs. My favorite is to add applesauce or mashed bananas. It's the cheapest way, and the most natural.

    Another way you can do it is to go buy "enerG egg replacer" or something of the sort. I've never used it, but I've heard it works wonders.

    I've heard that flax seed and water work well (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds + 3 tablespoons water= 1 egg)

    A few weeks ago mom bought me a pound of potato starch. i have no idea why.. or what it's actually used for but I thought it would be a good thickener so I added it to my vegan alfredo sauce... let's just say it didn't make it onto this blog for a reason... hahaha). I was surprised to see that the potato starch, when mixed with warm liquid, actually turns into something very similar in consistency to egg whites. I looked it up and apparently you can use 2 tablespoons of potato starch to replace 1 egg. Good to know!

    Silken tofu also works wonders, depending on what you're making (fudge? yes!)

    ReplyDelete