Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Vegan Ginger-Oatmeal muffins...

...With apples and almonds!

Ah yes, my quest for yummy vegan baked goods continues. I hope some of you are still with me, after my temporary break-up with facebook (it just had to happen.) But the breakup has given me SO much extra time to write and bake and (most importantly) spend time with my friends and family. So I don't miss it at all.

But I digress. Coming home to Pennsylvania always makes me crave what I lovingly call "country" foods. Salty oat cookies and apple pie have been on my radar for quite a while now, so I decided to take a stab at combining the two in a vegan-friendly fashion. My dad has been hasseling me for a while about how much weight I've lost since my transition to veganism (about 10 lbs... and those of you who know me know that I really didn't need to lose 10 lbs). I suspect this weight loss is due to the fact that I don't eat things with as much saturated fat as the average person... but my dad thinks its because i'm not getting enough protein. So I added some protein powder to this recipe so he'd be happy. I might add that you actually can't taste it at all, so hey, why not?

Vegan Ginger Oatmeal Muffins
musical accompaniment: Taylor Swift, "Mine" (she's from my hometown!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPBwXKgDTdE

Ingredients:
2 cups oatmeal (quick oats are fine)
2 cups flour
2 cups orange juice or water
1 cup applesauce (see recipe below or from a jar is fine)
1 teaspoon of salt (more for salting the tops)
1/2 cup of sliced almonds
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 scoop  spirutein vanilla protein powder (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 Degrees
Soak the oats in the orange juice for 10 minutes.
In the meantime, make the applesauce: peel and dice apples (I found that 2 average sized apples makes about 1 cup of applesauce.) eyeball a good amount of agave (or sugar if you don't have agave/don't care about calories). Heat over medium heat until just mushy, sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Transfer mixture to blender and add 1/2 cup of water. Blend until it has a nice apple-saucy consistency. I'll let you decide whether or not you want it to be chunky (I prefer it that way).
After 10 minutes of soak-time, add applesauce to the oats, mix until evenly spread throughout.
Add salt, baking soda and baking powder
Add spices and almonds
Add flour-- stir to mix in, but don't over stir (you want muffins not hockey pucks!)
Scoop mixture into muffin tins (about 3/4 of the way up... they'll rise)
Optional-- sprinkle salt on the tops of the muffins

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean
Most yummy when served warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment