Thursday, July 15, 2010

INSTANT SWEETS

I am on a big granola bar kick. I’ve never been a pure chocolate kind of girl and thus granola bars seem to satisfy my sweet tooth without making my tummy sick from sugar overload. I’m also all about instant gratification, so when I want granola bars, I want them now—not tomorrow, not after 40 minutes in the oven. Which is why I love this no-bake recipe. I can get this done in 15 minutes. After months of making this I’ve gotten creative and made several substitutes so I’ll put down a few different things to add.

I Want Granola Bars And I Want Them Now… Recipe!

Musical Accompaniment: Passion Pit


Ingredients: (I usually split this in half unless I’m making for a group)

* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/4 cup honey (I prefer to use Agave. The consistency changes but the taste stays the same)
* 2 cups granola (I like to pick ones with nuts and fruit already added)
* 1 cup rice cereal, (I go with safeway brand Rice Krispies)
* Optional add-ons: semisweet chocolate chips, craisins, nuts, pretzels.




Instructions:

In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar with the honey and butter. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sugar dissolves. Take the pan off the heat and add the granola and rice cereal. If you are adding extra fruit, pretzels, or nuts, you should add them here too. Be sure to coat everything in the sugary liquid. Take the mixture a press into an ungreased baking pan. Now it’s time to press the chocolate chips on top. (If you add them in earlier the chocolate will melt and you’ll have very chocolatey tasting granola bars.) Finally, set the pan in the refrigerator to set until firm. I leave 10-15 minutes, then pull them out cut into bars. After this DO NOT put them back into the fridge or they will get hard. Store in a cabinet. If you find that they are too chewy, put them in the fridge for less the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment