Sunday, July 25, 2010

MY NEW FRIEND: QUINOA


I know that now quinoa is all the rage, but I actually first experienced the grain in college. It was served cold in a vinegar-based sauce with soy beans and peppers.
While I like quinoa, I have discovered that I’m very particular about what’s it's prepared with. It makes all the difference – in a similar way that tofu is all about the preparation. I discovered that quinoa goes nicely with two of my favorite foods: spinach and cheese. The other great thing about this dish is that I enjoy it warm as well as cold, so it makes excellent leftovers.

Spinach and Feta Quinoa

Musical accompaniment: Bob Marley, Redemption Song


Ingredients:
1 cup Quinoa
1.5 cups Spinach
Feta
Salt/Pepper
Instructions:
You need to rinse the quinoa first to take away the bitterness. After a good rinse, bring 1 cup quinoa to boil, then let simmer until the water is absorbed. While a little water is left, and its still on the stove, add the raw spinach so that it cooks as well. Turn off the heat and add the feta. I don’t give measurements for cheese cause I’m a huge cheese fan, but not everyone consumes the quantity that I like to, so put in as much or as little as you prefer. Then add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment