Friday, July 9, 2010

THERE'S CHILI POWDER IN MY CHOCOLATE!!!

My perception of chocolate instantly changed one autumn day in a town outside of Mexico City. Though I wouldn't say it was cold, the wind was blowing quite hard over the mountains, and the sun was setting. I snuggled up against a warm mug of hot chocolate. While I call it hot chocolate it was actually a mixture of chocolate, chili powder, cinnamon and coffee (and yes, a splash of mezcal). It was the first time I had a drink like this, and I haven't since forgotten the lovely taste of mixing the sweet of chocolate with the spice of pepper. In fact, I won't eat chocolate any other way.


Here's a recipe for vegan chili-chocolate brownies. For you omnivores, please don't cringe when I say vegan... most people can't tell (just ask my non-vegan roommates who inhale these every time I bake them!) And for the vegans out there, this recipe depends on *how* vegan you are (ie do you use refined sugar or raw sugar, unbleached all purpose flour or rice flour etc). I'm not very strict at all and it's reflected in the recipe, but feel free to adjust the recipe accordingly (and share with me!)


A note about sweetness: I like my chocolate to be bitter and spicy-- the recipe doesn't make really sweet brownies. They also come out quite dense, so for more of a cake consistency, you can throw in a dash of apple cider vinegar.


Vegan Chili Chocolate Brownies
Musical Accompaniment: Rodrigo y Gabriela


2 cups unbleached flour
2 cups sugar*
1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup coffee
3/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
2 teaspoon chili powder (chipotle powder also works well)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix dry ingredients first, slowly add wet. Bake at 350 for 30 min or til toothpick comes out clean.
I baked mine in little cupcake tins. this is what they look like :



Mmmm Enjoy!


 * raw sugar tends to soak up liquids quickly, so if you prefer gooey brownies, be a little friendly with the liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment